As a painter I’m particularly interested in how uncertainty has manifested it self in what was termed ‘The End of Painting’. Painting historically has been an indicator of wider societal concerns .In my practice I acknowledge the tradition that sustained Modernist painting but I also acknowledge that which caused it to fall apart. The canvas is envisaged as a site for painting and used as a metaphor for wider uncertainty in contemporary life.
My genre is generally landscape but also architectural interiors .It is the intention that a sense of doubt is created for the viewer through the depiction of unlikely spaces. This shows it’s self in the work through paintings that have realistic effects of depth offset by elements that clearly highlight the centrality of surface of the canvas that so much characterised Modernist painting.
Uncertainty is also heightened through the combination of the immediate gesture and the appropriated or mimetic image .The means and techniques and thus the practice of representation are themselves ‘the work’ in the work
My concerns also lie with the construction of images that attempt to upset the easy progression of time. The sources for the landscapes and architectural structures are often gleaned from the history of painting and design.
For paintings I use a combination of oil and acrylic paint on canvas or board .I employ colouring pencil on paper for drawings. The process is a sort of painted collage, which appropriates disruptive elements, as devices to question a rational or ‘Enlightenment’ image of a world self confidently anchored in the ‘here and now’. I’m interested in images that deal with historicity and that reveal the historical not as an un questioned fact but as an open-ended form of retelling.
Paul Doherty 10-03-2011
|Curriculum Vitae Paul Doherty Bsc. B(Arch)Hons MRIAI|
- Name: Paul A. Doherty
- Date of Birth: 25.05.73
- Nationality: Irish
- Address: 7 Oxmantown Road, Stoneybatter, Dublin 7, Ireland
- m: +353 (0)863836889
- e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- w: https://pauldohertyartist.wordpress.com/
Educational and Professional Qualifications:
- 2009-2011 BA ( Hons) in Visual Arts Practice IADT ( First Class)
- 1997-1999 BArch Hons, School of Architecture University of Dundee, Scotland
- 1996-1997 Erasmus exchange programme l’Ecole d’ Architecture, Rouen, France
- 1992-1995 Bsc. Arch, School of Architecture, University of Dundee, Scotland
- 2011 – ‘Vending Machine Gallery’ Group Show, IADT, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
- 2010 – ‘Between Here and There’ Group Show at IADT, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
- -‘50 birds, one stone’ Group Show at D-Light Studios, Dublin, Ireland
Membership of Professional Bodies:
Member of the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland. Obtained professional qualification in 2004
Prior to studying Visual Arts Practice at IADT I have studied architecture which informs my arts practice. I am a fully qualified architect having practiced in industry since 2000. I have worked on a variety of building projects of differing type and scale and have held positions of responsibility in a number of practices in Dublin. Since 2009 I have managed my own architectural practice based in Stoneybatter in Dublin .